February 11, 2023 - Everett, WA- Aqua Signal Stern Light

February 11,  2023 - Everett, WA- Aqua Signal Stern Light

Today wrapped up the installation of a replacement stern light.  I had notice that the top of the lens was loose from the mounting plate and it was severely crazed.  Upon removing the lens, I discovered that the two locking ears on the top of the mounting plate were gone, leaving only the screw at the base holding the lens in place!  This was also allowing water to enter at the top, becoming trapped in the lower portion of the lens!

It was a bit of a challenge to break the old base free from the deck as it had excessive amounts of old, dried, caulking.  And the drain holes at the base of the lens were also caulked!  After removing the three mounting screws, and using a putty knife, I was able to break it loose from the deck.  Using the putty knife and some acetone, I was able to tr,pbr the old caulk leaving a clean surface.  I made a final pass with denatured alcohol to make sure the surface was clean.  With a tube of Sikaflex I laid in a bead of caulk around the profile of the base and reinstalled the three screws.  Fortunately, I was able to use the existing wiring and simply plugged in the spade connections.


New base installed - the circles highlight the locking ears that were missing from the old base

Failing Stern Light - Lens and base


New Lens





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 11, 2023 - Van Isles, BC - On the hard

August 25, 2025 - Everett

August 18, 2025 - Gowland Harbour